Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Waltzing Matilda - or, not so much.

My poor little baby has had a rough week, and unfortunately it's not over yet.

On Monday, she had to visit the vet for a pre-surgery check up and an update on her vaccines. I wasn't too worried about this appointment. Apparently I should have been.

On the car ride there, she was a total nutcase. Crying and crying and climbing all over me and the seat, not wanting to sit still. She pooped (on my newly shampooed seats) and I had to pull over to clean it up and let her pee. We got to the vet and I realized I forgot my wallet. This was a big mess, but thank gosh my mom was able to come and save me. (Thanks, mom!)

Matilda was a really good girl at the vet. She had her ears and eyes checked, her heart and lungs listened to, had blood drawn for her surgery, and got her rabies, distemper and kennel cough vaccines. After the vet told me what were normal symptoms after vaccinations and what weren't, we got in the car and headed home.

About 5 minutes into our 30 minute car ride, she threw up. Then she laid down, didn't move or cry, and just laid there. The vet told me to watch out for throwing up and lethargy. Great. I thought, well, she hates the car and she did just have a really traumatic experience, let's see how she is after she gets home and goes potty and sees Reese.

Well, she ended up throwing up for 2 or 3 hours and just laying around. I was really nervous and called the emergency vet. They pretty much said to watch her and if she wasn't better by the next day, to bring her in. The next morning she seemed a bit better, very thirsty and hadn't thrown up in a while. But she still wasn't herself - she had no energy. So I took a half day from work and stayed home to be with her. By that evening, she was fine.

She needed to get groomed Wednesday before her surgery. She was much better on this car ride. She cried a bit, but basically just laid on the passenger seat and chilled. I dropped her off at the groomers without a hitch. I told them that I would be back at 3pm when I got out of work.

Until I called to check on her around 11am. They then informed me that dogs couldn't stay there for more than 5 hours and that I would need to pick her up at noon. Again, great. So I scrambled (while at work) to figure out what to do. I really didn't want to drive an hour round-trip on my half-hour lunch break to take her home. So, my good buddy Jason helped me out by letting her stay at his salon until I got out of work. Yay!

Matilda was SO good in the car on the ride home from the salon. Just a few car rides and she's already used to it! Good girl! And thank gosh, because she has another car ride bright and early tomorrow morning. To the vet. To get spayed. I am SO nervous about this, considering how poorly she reacted to the vaccines. I'm just very worried that she's going to be extremely sick... or worse. I can't even let my thoughts wander there. She's going to be fine. I'm going to pick her up right after work and take care of her all night and all weekend. She's going to be fine.

Here's before and after grooming pictures:

P.S. Just had to share this cute little collage I made of pictures I took of a squirrel on our front porch!

[Click the pic to enlarge.]

P.P.S. Also had a little photo shoot with my chubby boy! In my opinion, he's very photogenic - minus the lack of a neck, and only if you have red eye removal :)

(Keep your fingers crossed that Matilda's surgery goes well, and I'll update when I can.) <3


Erin+Josh said...

WE LOVE our little furbabies, I hope she all better and her happy little self, love her haircut!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studio| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio