Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crafty day!

Besides nesting/cleaning - I have been feeling so crafty lately!! I've gotten the itch to do a bunch of projects, and just went to Joanns to get all the materials.

I found this fabric in my craft bin and just knew I HAD to make something with it.



I decided to make a pillow, but I'm going to add piping to it (using this tutorial). Sounds pretty simple. We'll see!

The piping is going to be yellow, like the yellow pears, and I bought enough of that fabric that I can make another, smaller pillow. I figure they'll look so cute sitting next to each other.

I also decided I want to combine these three ideas:





 I'm going to have guests at my baby shower write sweet messages (with their names on the back) to Parker on stones. I'm going to use this tutorial and tint mason jars (that I already have from the Goodwill), then wrap them decoratively in twine and white ribbon, put the stones in them, and place them on Parker's shelves in his room. I'm doing a "test tint" right now with one of the jars - so far, so good!

I love this idea of the yarn wrapped letter for one of his shelves, but wanted it to be more than just one color.


I toyed with the idea of doing "striped" yarn, if you will, but ultimately I decided that since I'm adding pops of color here and there (as you'll see next) in Parker's room, I'm going to make this letter a POP of color as well. So, I ordered this fabric from www.fabric.com, and I'm going to wrap the "P" in that:



Another pop of color in the room will be his changing pad cover. I found the exact one I wanted, but didn't want to spend $45 on it (yikes). So, I decided to make my own, using this tutorial. And here is the fabric (www.fabric.com) that I will be using for that:



As you can see, I've been adding lots of POPs of yellow, which works so well in his otherwise teal/gray room. And it doesn't stop there!

Today I ordered him his first sock monkey! My mom was OBSESSED with sock monkeys when she was little. I wanted his to be modern, bright and fun, so I got him this one:


She has ADORABLE sock monkeys on her Etsy site, which you can get to here.

I also ordered him his chair! I was going to go with a personalized chair from Pottery Barn Kids, which I loved. But it was just too expensive, and I wanted to spend the money elsewhere. So, I got him this adorable one from Amazon (the tan matches the tan paint below the chair rail in his room).


Looks so comfy! And, it's a rocker!

And last, but not least, I finished up his art print that I started last weekend. It came out really cute, I'm really happy with it! I used this tutorial as inspiration:


And here is the finished product:



I'll post a tutorial soon, although it's pretty self explanatory and obvious. (Scrapbook paper, glue stick, canvas, paint, sponge brush, painter's tape, rick-rack, a button - and I'm going to seal with Krylon Crystal Clear.)

His nursery is coming along SO nicely! Next week I will be ordering his shelves, and these 2 items to sit on those shelves:



(Haven't decided what color on the octopus yet.. blue, yellow, or green.)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studio| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studio